It’s kind of silly that it’s taken me more than four years to paint this model, but I’m so glad that I finally did! Soon after I bought it, I primed it using Army Painter Army Green, the same as all the other models, but I quickly realised that it was a mistake and that I should have primed it black instead; and it’s taken me this long to get round to stripping it and re-priming it using the airbrush.
Bray’arth is a great centerpiece model and counts as an HQ choice for Salamanders army. I’ve designed my Salamanders army around Vulkan He’stan in that I have a lot of meltas, but there’s no reason why I can’t take both models as long as the points limit allows.
This is the Salamanders Storm Eagle Vulkan’s Wrath, the personal transport of Captain Dac’tyr, Lord of the Burning Skies and Captain of the 4th Company.
As is common among Salamanders vehicles, Vulkan’s Wrath has been modified by its master, who added a stabiliser wing with forward-facing flaps to function as an air-brake: this allows Vulkan’s Wrath to rapidly decelerate after a high-speed orbital insertion.
This model is a real bugger to paint and he’s not turned out anywhere near as good as I’d have liked. It’s the first model that I actually wish I had in Finecast instead of metal. The quality of the cast is actually fairly poor, and all the spiky bits and sharp edges are a recipe for having the paint chip off, and to try to prevent that, I’ve had to overload on varnish. Plus, I made the mistake of assembling him before painting, meaning that it was much harder to get into all the nooks and crannies.
Anyway, he’s done now, and while he’s not as good as I’ve liked him to be, at least he’s tabletop standard.
Here is a pair of Rhinos which can be converted into Razorbacks. When played as Razorbacks they use kitbashed weapons: a twin-linked Heavy Flamer (ideal for Salamanders) and a twin-linked Assault Cannon.
The side doors on Number 1 are magnetised: I’m planning on kitbashing some sponsons and a turret so that it can be converted into a Predator.
Here’s the first Tactical squad. As you will notice, the Marines that form this squad are equipped with a variety of different types of armour: I mixed in some old Rogue Trader-era plastic components as well as some Mark V bits from Forge World.
I wasn’t planning on building an Assault squad for my Salamanders army. I bought a box of Assault marines because I wanted to mix the legs and torsos into the Tactical squads to make them a bit more distinctive.
But I had some spare bodies — Rogue Trader-era metal Mark VII marines — so I thought I’d try fitting the modern arms and jump packs on to them to see how they’d turn out. The end result is pretty good I think. The Sergeant is a modern plastic miniature who’s carrying a Chapterhouse Studios thunder hammer and storm shield.
Here is an Apothecary for my Salamanders army. The model is a 1990s era(?) 3rd or 4th edition that’s still available in Finecast: I picked this one up, in metal, for £2 at a local wargaming store.
He was painted along with two Tactical squads and an Assault squad: I painted them all in a production line rather than one at a time, and have therefore managed to 26 models in the same time that it previously would have taken to paint two Terminators.
I’ll be posting pictures of the Tactical and Assault squads soon: keep ’em peeled!
Here’s the first completed model from the two Tactical Squads I’m working on for my Salamanders army. He was painted in basically the same way as the Firedrakes: Army Painter Army Green basecoat, washed with a mix of Thraka Green and Devlan Mud, edge highlighted with AP Army Green, and so on.
There are a couple of points to note:
Despite several attempts, using both Revell Decalsoft and Microsol, to apply the Games Workshop Salamanders logo to the shoulder pad, I couldn’t get the transfer to apply smoothly without wrinkles. I blame this on the crappy quality of GW’s transfers. Therefore I’ve had painted the logo, which looks pretty crappy, but hopefully my freehanding skills will improve as I’ve got another 24 to do!
Realising that a simple green and black colour scheme would look boring, I painted a flame effect on the other shoulder, which seems to work quite well.