I wanted to create some terrain pieces that work with my Epic necron army. Dawn Of War had some cool Necron structures that looked pretty easy to scratch-build, like this Summoning Core.
This is the method I came up with (it took a couple of attempts). First, the ingredients:
1mm or 0.5mm plasticard
Liquid poly cement
The first thing to do is cut out two 15mm x 24mm rectangles from the 3mm plasticard. I decided to score on the design while they were still attached to the main sheet. You’ll almost certainly want to use a razor saw to do this.
Then cut a 12mm x 22mm piece of 1mm or 0.5mm plasticard. This is a spacer that goes between the other two pieces, making a sort of sandwich. It’s smaller than the other two pieces so that a gap shows. Glue them all together with liquid poly and use some clothes pegs to clamp them together.
Once the glue has set, use a 5mm drill to drill a hole through the middle. The hole should be 7.5mm from the top, and on the centre line. I drilled a pilot hole with a pin vise to make the drilling a bit easier.
Once you’ve drilled the hole, take your razor saw and cut grooves over where you’ve previous scored. If your razor saw is a thin one like mine, you may need to make two parallel cuts and carve out between them. A round file can be used to chamfer the edges of the grooves.
Mount on a 24mm base and you’re done! Here’s the finished piece.
Here’s another terrain piece I made. You can get quite nice effects with just a few bits of plastic.
Update: after I made the first protoype I was able to make a couple more. Definitely easier second time around!
These old building were nice in that they fitted together with a nice tongue and groove on the back. But to go the extra mile, I’ve been using putty to fill the gaps between two glued-together buildings.
The filler I’m using is Revell’s “plasto”. Unlike green stuff, which has the consistency of chewing gum, this stuff is more like car body filler, or cement, and it’s applied in the same way: squeeze a dollop out of the tube onto the relevant area, then use a spreader to shape it, and then file smooth once it’s dried.
The finished surface of the affected areas will be visibly different from the rest of the building, so I will probably end up applying a thin coat of the filler to the roof and sides of the buildings, just to keep it consistent.
Progress has been made on my modular city board project. I’ve made a start on the first two pieces: a Titan/Knight maintenance facility, and an Administratum building:
You can probably work out how this was made: I used balsa wood to create the walls (I manually mitred the ends so that they’d make nice corners. I used cocktail sticks to create the posts, and used 28mm razor wire rolled around a paint brush handle to create the barbed wire around the top. The resin buildings come from Old Crow and Wargamer.pl.
These Forge World buildings (now sadly out of production) are very nice, but have a thick 4mm base which makes them look a bit weird as stand-alone buildings. Rather than trying to cut the base off (I did have a try with my trusty razor saw) I decided to build up around the base with 4 squares of 1mm plasticard, each 1cm smaller than the next, to create a set of stairs. Since the finished piece is too big to share a panel with anything else, I decided to put it on its own panel, at a diagonal angle. I might add some more detail in the empty space in the corners later on.
A while back I mentioned my plan to create a modular city system for Epic. After months of waiting to find the time, I’ve finally made a start!
I started with a large sheet of 0.5mm plasticard. This is hard to get but can be found from professional modelmaker’s stockists, such as the 4D Modelshop in London, where I got mine.
The system is intended to be compatible with the Ziterdes modular gaming table that I use for all the games I play. This means that I had to cut the sheet to be 600mm square: when it’s finished, I will mount the sheet on a piece of MDF or similar to raise it to the same height as the Ziterdes boards.
My plan is to have a simple grid system, with square blocks that can be moved around as required. Indivudual terrain pieces such as buildings will be mounted onto inserts that sit in holes cut into the sheet. This gives the impression of a raised pavement, and also hides the joins, making the whole thing look like it’s a single piece.
After cutting the sheet to size, I cut four 200mm x 200mm squares out, leaving a 50mm border around the edge and 100mm gap between each hole (the roads are 100mm wide: not very realistic but they need to be big enough for titans and other super-heavies to maneuvre!). This means that if two boards are placed next to each other, there will always be a 100mm gap between each terrain piece.
Having cut out the four holes, I now have four 200mm x 200mm pieces of plasticard, which will form the base of each terrain piece:
It’s taken me more than a month to get round to posting again, but let me assure you I have not been idle! Now that the Warmonger project is finished (apart from creating some banners to hang on the thing before I submit it to Epicomp 2008), I’m working on a terrain project.
I’ve been slowly accumulating a collection of 36 of the old foam buildings from the original Adeptus Titanicus box, and I’m going to turn them into a city. Here’s a picture of them as they are now:
I am still working out the details of this project: ideally, I’d like to make the individual pieces modular so that they can be rearranged (there’s nothing more boring than playing over the same terrain over and over again), but I don’t want to sacrifice the realism: I want the final product to look like it’s a real city, albeit one that’s one a distant planet 40,000 years into the future 🙂 Once I’ve got my plans together, I’ll start posting progress updates.