With the recent remission in this summer's foul weather I've had a chance to do some spraying and have made a start on the main subassemblies of the Leviathan Crusader.

Over the weekend I finished one of the shoulder pads - like my Epic knights, the Leviathan will have Mechanicus-style hazard stripes on its left shoulder. Unlike the Epic knights, I've managed to do a pretty decent job of them!

2013-06-17 21.43.00

I used 6mm Tamiya masking tape to create the chevrons - if you stick a piece on, and then stick another piece right next to it, then you can stick a third piece next to the second, then remove the second piece to get nice parallel lines. I then sprayed white over a black basecoat, painted yellow other that (mixed with flow enhancer to remove bubbles and brush marks), and finally a sepia wash.

I also added a light weathering to make the yellow a little less dayglo.

There was just enough light after dinner this evening to allow me to break out my airbrush and have a go with the other shoulder. I decided to use this as a guinea pig to try out a colour mix using Vallejo Model Air paints (the first time I've used them). The picture below shows the result. This colour is 3 parts Fire Red and 1 part metallic Turn Signal Red, over a black undercoat.

2013-06-17 21.43.37

I am pleased with the final result and I'm now going to use it on the rest of the model.

Once the paint is dry, I'll finish the bronze edging of the shoulder pad. This is done with two coats applied with a stipple brush over black undercoat, washed with Devlan Mud. I might also add weathering to add some depth to the colour.

Update: here's the finished shoulder pad:

2013-06-18 01.10.45