After having to wait for life to calm down after the chaos of Christmas and New Year I’ve hit the ground running with my new Word Bearers army for Legions Imperialis.
As you may recall, I once had a Horus Heresy Word Bearers army and I’m basically replicating the same colour scheme, just at a much smaller scale :)
Above, you can see the first completed stand from the army, which is obviously a command squad. After bashing that one out, I was able to finish all the other figures on the frame, as well as both talons of Contemptor dreadnoughts:
I have a game booked in for March, which I think gives me enough time to paint up a 1,500 point army beforehand. Obviously I will share photos as I finish things up!
The eagle-eyed among you may notice a slight change to the appeareance of this website. This is because I’ve ditched WordPress after well over a decade.
All the content is still there, but comments, categories and tags are no more. The search box still works though!
If there is something missing, please drop me an email!
In terms of the hobby, I (as you might expect) picked up a copy of Legions Imperialis and started to build and paint a new Word Bearers army. They will play nicely with my Legion Crassus titans and House Malinax knights. Expect photos soon.
More pictures below the fold.
The other week Mark and I got in a game of Gaslands, having been inspired after picking up Gaslands Refuelled and a bunch of accessories at Salute.
Despite barely managing half a lap of the circuit, we had loads of fun, with lots of wipeouts and general mayhem, and I'm sure we'll be playing more of it in the future.
More pictures below the fold.
I have, however, recently become a father again for the fourth (or fifth, depending on how you measure these things) time, which although otherwise entirely wonderful, has had the effect of (a) taking away what little energy I had left after dealing with the rest of the family, (b) doing the same to my spare time and (c) depriving me of the permanent hobby space I previously enjoyed, which is now the nursery.
There is light at the end of the tunnel, however, as things are now settling down and I'm starting to get time and energy back. I also acquired a GoBag Evo from Monument Hobbies, which has drastically reduced the setup/teardown time required to get my hobby on at the kitchen table. So hopefully you'll see some more posts soon!
One further item: after previously vein active on twitter and then instagram, I'm more interested in the Fediverse nowadays, and thanks to some technical wizardry you can now follow this blog on Mastodon! Just search for @[email protected] to see this post through your Mastodon client, and follow to receive updates.
As of Monday, August 1st, the In the Emperor's Name website and the ItEN Retinue Builder have been retired.
After taking a break for a few years (after it was initially cancelled), I recently binge-watched the last four Amazon-commissioned seasons of the incredible hard SF series The Expanse.
There are many ships of various kinds in The Expanse, but the most notable is Rocinante, the home and workplace of the main characters of the show. She's a salvaged MCRN corvette, armed with point-defense cannons (PDCs), missiles, and in the later series, a rail gun.
I found a good quality 3D model of the Roci and was compelled to paint it for display on the shelf above my desk.
Oye beltalowda beratnas and sésatas, kewe to pensa ere kapawu?
A few (actually almost ten) years ago I posted some pictures of the Battlestar Galactica model kit. Not long after I posted that article, I picked up a Mk II Colonial Viper kit (originally produced by Moebius, now by Revell).
That model sat in my pile of shame for almost seven years, until I decided I needed a pallet cleanser towards the end of last year.
Completing this model was a pleasurable challenge: the model is not super-high quality and needed quite a bit of filling and sanding to put together. This is the first model that I've had to paint the interior cockpit for, seal up and mask, and then finish the exterior. The final step was to remove the masking on the canopy which was very satisfying!
After I'd applied the decals and finished painting, the model looked beautiful, but it's the weathering that makes a model like this really pop. I used a mix of weathering powders and sponge chipping to add an appropriately lived-in level of wear and tear.
More pictures below the fold!
So far most of the 'mechs I've printed have been on the heavy side, so I was conscious that if I wanted a viable battleforce I'd need to augment them with some lighter 'mechs.
Then, in a fit of insanity, I decided it would be fun to print half a dozen Fleas (15-ton scout 'mechs)! I quite like the idea of a swarm of these critters crowding around heavier 'mechs and being a general nuisance, even if they can't deal a killer blow.
I wanted to emphasise their diminutive size, so I scaled them down a bit so they're about the same size as an Epic-scale Sentinel. That's another nice thing about 3D printing miniatures: you can very easily shrink or enlarge the model if you don't like its size.
I'm taking a few of these chaps in a game tomorrow and I'm keen to see if my idea works out!