As soon as Forge World released this model I knew I wanted one! My amazing other half bought me one for Christmas, and I’ve just finished it.
It has the same basic colour scheme as my other large Necron models: I used a piece of firm sponge to stipple Warpstone Bronze over a black undercoat, and then drybrushed with Brass Scorpion, finished with a highlight of Vallejo brass. Simple but very effective!
My birthday treat to myself last year was this, a Necron Pylon from Forge World. It was a fun challenge to get the paint job to match that of my other 40K Necron models, some of which are now over 5 years old, using a different palette of paints (since GW changed their paint range and I’ve started using a lot more paints from other manufacturers). But I’m very happy with how it turned out!
Here is a pair of classic metal Necron lords. I picked them up in a bag-o-bits that I bought from vidpui on Twitter, as a result I’ve customised them a little bit.
I’m rather pleased with how the cloaks turned out; although the effect doesn’t really come over in the photos. I drybrushed them with a sequence of greys of various shades, then mixed a glaze using the ancient blue ink I used on the C’tan shard with some Vallejo Model Air yellow and painted it over the grey. I then highlighted the raised areas with a bright, slightly metallic green.
Here is my Necron army (all 4,000 points of it), completed after nearly six years (I started it in late 2009).
Obviously, no army is ever really finished. I expect that I will probably buy and paint new pieces as the whim takes me, but I now have enough stuff that I can have a few options when playing at 1,500 points and higher (rather than simply taking everything I own).
Here’s the last of the infantry reinforcements for my Necrons. The Voidblades on these Triarch Praetorians were a bugger to paint and in the end I pretty much just gave up on them. But they look OK if you don’t look too closely!
Now I just need to paint the Night/Doom Scythe, and I can finish this project and get stuck into some Epic!
Here is my version of the new Necron Overlord released with the new codex. The new rules allow you to equip your Overlord with any wargear you like so I took a couple of bits from my bits box to make him unique.
He’s on a 40mm base which I think works quite well for characters. I’m tempted to rebase some of my other characters on the same size base so that he doesn’t stick out. He got the same basic paint job as all the other models in the army.
It occurred to me that his pose is somewhat reminiscent of Usain Bolt’s signature pose, what do you think?
Nothing especially unusual about these guys. I already have a unit of Immortals with Tesla Carbines so I chose to give these guys Gauss Blasters for diversity purposes.
The Army Painter Chainmail spray went on a bit too thick in places — I’ve been spoiled by my airbrush — and a couple of the models have distinctly featureless faces. I decided against repainting for the simple reason that although I’m a big fan of Necrons, my aim with this wave of reinforcements is to get the army into a usable state, rather than produce a work of art.
I’ve just finished these models, the next wave of reinforcements for my 40K Necron army.
It’s been an interesting experience to paint models to match the colour scheme I developed more than five years ago; getting the green hue on the shoulder blades of the wraiths to match the original models was quite challenging. My ability as a miniature painter has improved a bit in the years since I started my Necron army, and it’s interesting to compare “before” and “after”, and realise what I would do differently if I were to start again now.
Anyway, these are done now, but I still have a few more models to go: some Immortals (with Gauss Blasters), Triarch Praetorians (with Particle Casters and Voidblades), a Doom/Night Scythe, and a dozen bases of scarabs. Stay tuned!
Here is the first finished model from the wave of reinforcements to my Necron army. I’m fairly pleased with the opalescent effect I accidentally achieved on the robes (which is the result of using an ancient Citadel ink over black drybrushed with grey), but the drybrushing on the torso could be better.