Here’s a Reaver titan to go with the Warlord titan I finished late last year. Definitely much easier to paint! I managed to slightly mis-position the feet and toes, meaning that the armour plates on the leg are a bit wonky, but thankfully it’s not too noticeable. I won’t make that mistake again!
I’m now working on some Cerastus and Acastus knights. Rather than going for a homebrew House I’m going to paint them as House Malinax.
My copy of the new version of Adeptus Titanicus should arrive today, but that hasn’t stopped me from continuing to paint classic Epic titans! Here is a rather esoteric one: a Custodian Titan. Each titan legion has a single Custodian titan, which replaces its carapace weapons with a Devotional Bell, built from sacred Terran metals and annointed with drop of the Emperor’s blood. The bell acts as a mobile shrine for the Imperial Cult and a rallying point on the battlefield. The presence of a Custodian Titan in a battle is a complete anathema to daemonic intrusions into the material universe as it directly extends the Emperor’s will and spirit to his mortal followers.
As well as its Devotional Bell, this titan also has a Command Head and Carapace multi-lasers, and its arm weapons are Lucius-pattern weapons from the Mk III Warlord Titan.
Long time no see! I won’t bore you with the tedious details of why I haven’t been blogging much (too much Real Life getting in the way), but although I haven’t posted here in over 10 months, I haven’t been idle: I’ve just finished the titan legion I posted about last June:
The legion consists of four Warhounds, three Reavers, four Warlords and a repainted and refurbished Warmonger (which still needs a bit of attention as one of the Hydra turrets has lost a barrel).
with the exception of the arm weapons on the Warmonger, and the Carapace weapons on the Lucius-pattern Warlord, every single weapon is magnetised, meaning that I can customise the weapons load-out of each titan as I see fit. In addition to a lot of classic metal and plastic titan weapons, I’ve also included some of the weapons from the Defeat in Detail Cybershadows Leviathan models to proxy as various different weapons.
These titans are painted in the colours of Legio Crassus – a titan legion that was loyal to the Warmaster during the Horus Heresy. None of the titans show the corruption of Chaos – but that might change in the future! For now, they are just a Heresy-era traitor legion, and wear the Eye of Horus proudly over their metallic green armour.
I started working on the Reaver in May, and finally finished it at the beginning of December. That’s six months!
I am generally very happy with how it’s turned out. There were a few glitches along the way but as is the case with any hobby project, those problems that did come up were fixable.
The paint scheme is, of course, the same one I have been painting my Epictitans for 25 years. Here’s a quick run-down of how it was achieved:
Prime with Vallejo black primer (via airbrush)
Mask off armour plates leaving edge banding exposed
Airbrush Vallejo Model Air Brass on banding
Wash with Army Painter Soft Tone through the airbrush
Remove masking and remask to expose quartered sections
Spray with Citadel Skull White spray
The exposed metal of the superstructure was primed black as above then sprayed with Army Painter’s Chain Mail, then washed with Strong Tone through the airbrush. Weathering was achieved using Citadel’s Nihilakh Oxide, Typhus Corrosion and Forge World weathering powders.
The base is a simple cake base with a belt of plasticard around the outside. It’s supposed to match the basing scheme I’ve used for my Salamander and Necron armies and the Leviathan. There is a layer of cork on top of the base to allow me to create depressions into which the titan’s feet can be placed (to create the effect of the ground sinking beneath its feet). I added some crushed up aluminium foil and some craters from Amera Plastic Mouldings to add relief. I then painted with PVA and applied sand. once dried, I sprayed the base with a mix of Army Painter leather and Plasti-kote sprays, drybrushed with a few GW paints and then added static grass (GW’s Dead Grass).
Overall, I’d say this project is pretty straightforward, requiring a lot of technique but not much skill: for example, knowing how to pin the leg joints in the most effective way. Since the model was painted almost entirely using the airbrush, the amount of masking required was pretty exhausting and very boring indeed!